Wednesday, December 01, 2004

An interesting question

From Europe comes the news that the Netherlands is considering mercy killing for those who are determined to have"no free will", which includes children, the mentally retarded, and those in irreversible comas.

It poses an interesting question, reminiscent of Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged woman who is in a vegetative state for the past 14 years.

In general, I am supportive of the idea, though for anyone to be euthanized should require the consent of a blood relation or spouse, along with the recommendation from the primary physician. However, I would not permit this to happen to the mentally retarded, unless the retardation is so severe that the individual is not even aware of his or her surrounding.

I used to be against doctor-assisted suicide and euthanasia of humans, but I think that was more because of a visceral response to the taking of life. However, I've come to take a more science-based and, I believe, a more rational approach to the subject as time has passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home