Thursday, April 06, 2006

Protesters Defend Carrying Mexican Flags

Let's be clear. There's a difference when Italian-Americans are waving a flag of Italy when they're celebrating a holiday and when illegal immigrants are waving the flag of Mexico.

Firstly, it's just colossally stupid that illegals would wave the flag of a country from which they are escaping. They're essentially sucking on America's teat and they're saying that they're proud to be Mexican? If I were them (which I'm not, since I'm smart), I'd be waving an American flag and only an American flag. I'd tell whomever asked that I love America and I want to become a citizen. I'd be trying to speak English. The fact of the matter is, if they want respect, then they have to at least give half an effort to integrate.

Secondly, I would posit that there is a significantly higher percentage of Italians in this country legally than Hispanic, whether they be citizens or have visas, etc. They've gone through the system and earned the right to live in this country. I'd trust the loyalty of an Italian or Irish-American to America than an illegal immigrant any day. That the illegals are shoving their true nationality in our faces is insulting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home