Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Symbolic message

Yesterday marked a historic day where many Republicans joined with Democrats to expand federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, and I'm glad that it happened. It effectively embarassed the President with a large number of Republicans breaking party ranks and sending a message that Bush's shortsightedness is hurting our future, both in science and in public health. Bush's lame attempt at showing a whole 21 children born out of hundreds of thousands of scientifically useful embryos is destroying my support for his Presidency and my support for the Republican party in general. The Republicans are perceived more and more as a bunch of Bible-thumping nutjobs, and that perception wouldn't be wrong. I'm hoping that this break in party discipline will embolden more moderate Republicans to speak out against this lurch to the right.

In my heart of hearts, I'm a Republican, and I support George Bush on many issues, but his dangerously misguided views on morality and science are driving me away from the party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home