Sunday, September 18, 2005

Thank God for Whole Foods

I'm so psyched that Whole Foods has opened on Cambridge Street. It totally blows away the other local markets, Savenor's and Deluca's. I, unfortunately, am suffering because of it. I usually spend about $40/week on groceries. After one trip to Whole Foods, I spent $100. Ugh.

Whole Foods is like Starbucks: you want to hate it because it's commercial, but you can't because it's really a good place to work and shop. Thus, it's able to drive the "Mom & Pop" stores out of business, but you don't really resent it.

Anyway, that's what I expect out of Savenor's and Deluca's. I expect their business to drop. With the "Mom & Pop" stores, you have to have one or both of the following qualities to survive:

1) A product that the big store can't give or
2) Customer service that is unmatched

Unfortunately, with Whole Foods, neither Savenor's nor Deluca's can beat it on the first point. What's worse, they can't beat Whole Foods on the second point, either, as I truly believe that the employees there enjoy their work and are treated well.

All I know is that Whole Foods sells Indian food. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home